• 1 x whole medium chicken
• 1 x stalk lemongrass
• 4 x cloves garlic
• 1 x thumb-size piece ginger, grated or thinly sliced
• 1/2 can coconut milk
• 3 teaspoons dark soy sauce
• 2 Tablespoons fish sauce
• lime wedges and coriander as a garnish
• 4 cups of water
• 4 tablespoons x rice vinegar
• 4 x cloves garlic, finely sliced or crushed
• 2x thumb-size piece ginger, minced or grated
• 6 x tablespoons fish sauce
• 1 x lime (just the juice)
• Two thirds cups of honey
• 2 teaspoons x cornstarch powder or flour dissolved in 3 Tbsp. water
1. Mix lemongrass garlic, ginger, fish sauce, soy sauce and coconut milk in a food processor (or blender).
2. Place chicken in a roasting pan, and pour the marinade you have just mixed over the top of the chicken, rub it in. Refrigerate for 30minutes to 3 hours.
3. Add half a cup of water to the bottom of the roasting pan
4. Cover and place in a 150 - 160 degree oven. Roast for relevant duration depending on weight of the chicken.
5. Check the chicken hourly to baste with the pan juices and to ensure it doesn’t dry out, add more water if it is becoming dry.
6. Make the sauce. In a saucepan, add all sauce ingredients except cornstarch or flour. Bring to a boil, then lower the heat to a simmer.
7. Taste, add more honey if not sweet enough, or more fish sauce (instead of salt) as desired. If you prefer a spicy sauce, add some fresh chilli or chilli sauce.
8. Add cornstarch powder or flour dissolved in the water. Stir and simmer until sauce thickens.
9. Serve the roasted chicken drizzled with some of the sauce, then pour the rest around the outside of chicken, or serve it on the side. Garnish with lime slices or wedges, and fresh sprigs of coriander. Serve with rice
Recipe by Emma Lowther-Wright.