Savoury Sweet Pepper Cheesecake
We used our home grown Sweet Peppers, grown in a solargrow, for this recipe.
200g waxy potatoes, cooked & mashed
100g plain flour
Seasoning – Salt, pepper & ground nutmeg
A little milk
Knob of butter
200g low fat cream cheese
100g good flavoured mature cheddar
150ml single cream
3 eggs, separated
1 tsp Dijon mustard
1 tsp Paprika
½ tsp ground nutmeg
2 medium sweet peppers, deseeded, skinned and sliced
A 9 inch spring bottomed cake tin
1. First lightly grease the cake tin and set aside.
2. Preheat the oven to 180˚C.
3. Add knob of butter, seasoning and a little milk to mashed potato.
4. Stir in the flour adding a little more milk if necessary. The consistency should resemble dough.
5. Press into the cake tin to form a base.
6. In a medium bowl whisk the egg yolks until they begin to turn pale. Add the cream cheese and whisk until blended. Stir in the cheddar, paprika, ground nutmeg, mustard and single cream.
7. Whisk the egg whites until they form soft peaks. Gently fold into the cheese mix.
8. Stir in the sweet peppers and add mix to cake tin.
9. Bake in the oven for 25 mins. Turn down the heat to 170˚C and cook for a further 10 mins
10. Remove from oven; allow to cool slightly before removing sides.
11. Serve with a crisp green salad. Additionally, a chopped, fresh chilli may by added to the filling.