Chilli Con Carne
We used our home grown chillies in this recipe.
1 tablespoon of olive oil
1lb of beef or venison mince
1 onion (red or white)
1 fat clove of garlic
1 chilli (or more if you love hot and spicy things)
Half a tablespoon of coriander
1 tablespoon of paprika (I’ve used smoky and sweet and they both work well)
1 teaspoon of thyme
Half a cinnamon stick
Half a tablespoon of cumin
2 teaspoons of black pepper
A tin of chopped plum tomatoes (or chop them yourself)
125ml of beef stock
25grammes of dark chocolate
A tin of red kidney beans
1. Dice the onion and chop the garlic into small, fine pieces. Also chop the chocolate into slithers.
2. Pour the olive oil into a hot frying pan or skillet, and then add the mince. Let the mince brown before you break it up with your spatula (this keeps the flavour in).
3. Once browned remove from the pan and add the garlic, onions and chillies. Fry slowly for about 10 minutes.
4. Add the spices and fry for a minute or two, keeping an eye on them so that they don’t stick – and savour the fabulous aroma.
5. Add the beef to the pan again and stir so that the spices, onions and garlic are evenly distributed throughout the mince.
6. Add the tinned tomatoes and stock, turn the heat up a bit and bring to a boil.
7. Turn the heat down and simmer lazily for about an hour and a half.
8. Add the kidney beans and the chocolate and simmer again for about 10 minutes. It will smell amazing by now.
9. Remove the cinnamon stick
10. Serve, perhaps with rice or nachos and maybe some coriander leaves on top