6 cups diced green or half-ripe papaya
1/2 cup water
1 cup sugar
1/4 cup lemon juice or 3 tablespoons lime juice
1. Combine papaya and water.
2. Cook about 15 minutes until papaya is soft.
3. Add sugar and stir until dissolved.
4. Remove from heat and add lemon juice or lime juice.
5. The sauce may be pressed through a coarse strainer if a smoother mixture is desired.
This sauce may be served with the main course or as a dessert course. It is especially good for papaya short cake filling.
This makes a fabulous substitute for apple sauce
Recipe kindly supplied by Stanley and Joan Maxwell