Seed Sowing – the Essential Guide
What to Sow & When
Use our handy seed sowing calendar to plan your seed sowing and harvesting schedule for the new growing season and get ready to enjoy bumper harvests of your favourite food.
In just a few simple steps you can turn a small pack of seeds or cuttings into beautiful blooms or a delicious harvest.
Where to Grow
- Plant seeds vary greatly in size, so the vessel into which you sow them needs to vary accordingly.
- Once planted, place seed trays and pots into a heated propagator to increase the germination rate.
How to Sow Seeds
Sow Seeds in thin rows & ensure seeds are not touching each other.
- With smaller seeds, simply place some in your hand and sprinkle into a seed tray. Place large seeds individually into separate holes a row.
- Not all seeds will germinate, so you should always sow more seeds than you need.
Once your seeds are sown, cover them with finely sieved compost.
- It is important to always sieve your compost to remove any large, solid lumps that could block seeds from sprouting.
- Seeds should covered with compost to the same depth as the length of your seeds e.g. if seeds are 1cm in diameter, cover with 1 – 1.5cm of sieved compost.
- Make sure you level out the compost, as this will ensure your seed remains in contact with the compost. A seed sowing tamper is the ideal tool for the task.
Now your seeds are ready to start growing!
- Depending on how warm your propagator is, you may need to water the compost before seeds emerge; take care not to over-water or over-heat your seedlings!
Essential Seed Sowing Tools
1. Seed Sowing Dibber – Our Gardening Angels always use a seed sowing dibber to help sow seeds at the correct depth. This is perfect for ensuring accuracy and improved germination success rates.
2. Gardening Sieve – Perfect for creating the perfect grade of compost by removing coarse materials and covering your seeds with a fine tilth.
3. Biodegradable Plant Pots - Once the seeds begin outgrowing the coconut pot, simply replant the whole pot into a larger pot!
4. Plant Labels – Keep your seedlings in order; include the variety, source and sowing date to check how well each variety is growing.
Regular Price: £90.00
Special Price £90.00
Regular Price: £150.00
Special Price £150.00
Regular Price: £30.00
Special Price £30.00
Regular Price: £50.00
Special Price £50.00
Regular Price: £40.00
Special Price £40.00
Regular Price: £55.00
Special Price £55.00