Top Tips: Hardwood Cuttings Propagation
Autumn to late winter is the perfect time to start propagating hardwood cuttings in your Hydropod Propagator. Here are a few hints and tips to get you inspired.
- The day before taking your cuttings, water the plant you intend to propagate to hydrate it thoroughly.
- Take cuttings early in the morning because this is when they are full of water.
- Always take several cuttings from each shrub, so that you have plenty of plants for next season. If you’re left with too many, you might have some very happy neighbours!
- When using the Hydropod Propagator, keep the vent closed to create a humid atmosphere and keep the cutting warm. The vents can be gradually opened as the roots start to form and they are ready to be hardened off.
- Don’t leave cuttings too long otherwise the roots will become leggy. Pot on as soon as the plant has produced a good network of white fibrous roots around 10cm long.
- Always make the top cut slopping away from the top bud so that any water which falls on the cutting is directed away from the bud.
- There will be less water evaporation at this time of year, so fungus can develop if water droplets are left to gather on leaves or leaf nodes.
What hardwood cuttings are you growing?
The Hydropod can be used for cuttings from deciduous shrubs, climbers, fruit bushes and even trees - we'd love to hear what you've got growing in your Hydropod!
If you have any questions about the cuttings you are rooting, or how the Hydropod can help your with your cuttings, please feel free to get in touch with our Gardening Angels on 0845 602 3774 or drop us an email at firstname.lastname@example.org. We're always happy to help!
Share This With Your Friends!